SD-WAN – MPLS: differences and benefits
What is MPLS?
The Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is a mechanism that is responsable for routing the circulation within a telecommunications network. This is the reason why the nodes move from one network node to another, providing applications that include virtual private networks, quality service and traffic engineering.
During this process, packetss move through the network thanks to the function of an assigned label. This same label is associated to the default route that exists on the network, allowing a better level of observation withing the networks of packets conmutation.
What are the benefits of MPLS?
- It improves network performance and management to accomodate new applications.
- MPLS providers have the capacity to assign greater importance to certain network traffic, making it efficient because they improve performance and bandwidth utilization.
- It allows shared network resources and, for clients, private networks.
What is SD-WAN?
SD-WAN is a connectivity model defined by a software that aims to manage the WAN or wide area network. This way, traffic monitoring and management changes from physical devices to the application itselft.
Because inteligence is attracted to a virtual overlay, secure grouping of public and private connections is allowed. Thanks to this, automation and network control can occur quickly through different links, in real time.
What are the benefits of SD-WAN?
- It has the easiness to eliminate geographic boundaries, with improvements in terms of visibility, scalability, performance and network control.
- It has a bandwidth with no penalties, which means that clients can easily update by adding more links to their network, without having to make changes to its infraestrucutre or the network itself.
- Security and internet’s bandwidth, such as 4G LTE, are more efficient and less expensive, respectively, than the ones of MPLS.
- The network is pretty affordable, especially if we compare it to private ones like MPLS.
- Installation in networks and offices is extremely easy, and can be done automatically or through preconfigured devices.
- Applications can be managed directly, thus optimizing their performance.
Differences between MPLS and SD-WAN
- The bandwidth cost of MPLS is usually expensive because it consists in aquiring a service throught an operator, while networks such as SD-WAN are more affordable because they can send traffic through public Internet.
- Although the MPLS network is usually safe, it doesn’t provide encryption, which is why is more exposed to vulnerabilities. On the other hand, SD-WAN technology is hosted on the Internet, so it increases its security by a lot.
- The MPLS bandwidth capacity is often congested as today’s consumers are interested in multimedia content. This doesn’t happen with SD-WAN since it has a considerable and optimal bandwidth capacity.
Which technology should you use?
Undoubtedly, the SD-WAN network offers much more advantages than the MPLS. Companies are constantly searching for better alternatives than the MPLS, so the SD-WAN network is usually recommended due to its low cost, unlimited bandwidth, extended waiting time and lengthy contract terms, compared to the MPLS.
Optimize your bandwidth and start to enjoy all the benefits of SD-WAN solutions and Convergia. Click here.